Dealing With Unsafe Conditions at Work

Wood Atter & Wolf P.A.

Steps to take if you think conditions at your workplace pose a hazard to your health or safety.

The federal Occupational Safety and Health Act (the OSH Act) and similar state laws spell out your rights in the event of a workplace hazard.

How to deal with the unsafe work conditions depends on how immediate and serious the danger is.

Unsafe Work Conditions: If You Are in Imminent Danger

If you think your life is in imminent danger because of a workplace hazard, you have the right to refuse to work.

You should also call the emergency telephone line of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (known as OSHA), at 800-321-OSHA (6742).

Of course, if you or a coworker needs immediate medical attention, call 911.

How do you know if an imminent danger exists? All of the following must be true:

  1. You believe that performing your work poses a real danger of death or serious physical injury
  2. Your employer refuses to correct the problem, and
  3. There isn’t enough time to eliminate the danger through other means, such as requesting an OSHA inspection.

In some states, you have the right to refuse to work even if the harm is not life threatening. To find out about workplace safety laws in your state, contact your state labor department.

Unsafe Work Conditions can Lead to injury

Unsafe Work Conditions: If You Are Not in Imminent Danger

If the danger is not imminent, the first thing you should do is ask your employer to take care of the problem.

It is possible that your employer doesn’t know about the hazard and will deal with the situation promptly.

Likewise, be sure to document your request — either by making the request in writing or by writing down notes for yourself of the date that you made the request, the name of the person to whom you made it, and a summary of what you and the person said.

If you are afraid to go to your employer, skip this step and complain directly to OSHA or a similar state agency.

Likewise, if your employer does nothing, or takes action against you for complaining about the hazard, your next step is to complain to OSHA or a similar state agency.

For information on how to file an OSHA complaint, including a complaint form you can file online or download and file by fax or mail, see “How to File a Complaint with OSHA” on the OSHA website. You can give your name or make the complaint anonymously.

Both federal and state law prohibit your employer from retaliating against you if you properly refuse to work, if you complain about a health and safety matter, or if you otherwise assert your rights under these laws.

For more information on federal law, visit For more information on state law, contact your state labor department.

Contact Wood, Atter and Wolf Today

If you require legal representation in a case involving unsafe working conditions, contact the personal injury attorneys at Wood, Atter and Wolf. You can schedule a consultation here, or call us at (904) 355-8888

Our Reviews See What Our Clients Are Saying

David Wolf and his Legal assistant Jodi have been very helpful and responsive during the process of settling my daughter's auto injury claim. They were thorough and...

BC Manhattan

Mr Wolf and his team were very helpful in meeting our legal needs following my wife's car accident.

Brad Manhattan

Mr. Wolf, Esq., contacted me immediately & provided outstanding professional guidance to me. Outstanding help & assistance.Walter Baker

Charlie Manhattan

Contact Us

Fill out the contact form or call us at (904) 355-8888 
to schedule your free consultation.
  • Phone.svg Free Consultation
  • Experience.svg Decades of Experience
  • No-Fee.svg No Fees, Unless You Win

Free Consultation (904) 355-8888