Slip and Fall Accidents
Jacksonville Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys / Premises LiabilityApproximately one million Americans suffer a slip and fall or trip and fall accident each year, in places ranging from grocery stores and apartment complexes to restaurants and convenience stores. Slip and falls occur because of wet floors, inadequate lighting, spilled products or liquids or other hidden hazards not readily seen or properly identified or warned against. Falls can be brought about by large cracks in flooring, hidden objects that obstruct someone’s path or items that have fallen off shelves. Even broken stairways or banisters and safety devices that fail in bathrooms can cause injuries and sometimes death. These injuries can range from inconvenient (bruising) to devastating (brain injury, spinal cord injury, broken bones or death).
These Premises Liability claims can become a legal case when a property owner or its employees or agents have been negligent by failing to either properly maintain the property in a safe condition or by creating unsafe conditions that lead to a slip and fall injury. Often it is enough if a property owner or employee or agent knew about an unsafe condition (or should have known about it), but did not take any action to remedy it or warn its patrons about it.
If you have suffered an injury of this type, you may be able to file a claim or lawsuit for your injuries and recover for your medical expenses, wage loss, pain and suffering, mental anguish, emotional distress, and lost enjoyment of life.What to do after a Slip, Fall or Trip Resulting in Injury
- First report the incident to a staff member, owner, landlord or responsible party so that the hazard does not affect anyone else and request emergency services if needed to be dispatched.
- Second, if emergency services are not warranted, seek immediate medical attention to ensure your well-being and to document the extent of injuries you incurred.
- Third, try and collect any evidence of the hazard like cell phone pictures or the names/telephone numbers of witnesses who saw the accident.
- Fourth, do not discuss the incident with anyone except to report what happened. Leave the speculations up to others.
- Fifth, as soon as you can, write down the time-line and conditions that led to your slip, fall or trip.
- Sixth, keep any evidence like torn, wet or contaminated clothing or shoes as they will be needed later on.
- Seventh, do not talk to the insurance company or give any statements as to what happened.
- Eighth, contact Wood, Atter & Wolf, P.A. , which has personal injury attorneys that have been handling premise liability cases involving injuries or death for over 35 years.
Wood, Atter & Wolf, P.A. has been servicing the Northeast Florida area, including Jacksonville, Orange Park, St. Augustine, Fernandina Beach or in the areas around Duval, St. Johns, Nassau, and Clay counties for over 50 years. Call Us at (904) 355-8888 or Contact Us Online for a FREE consultation.